maandag 13 juli 2015

The trip to complete a journey


So this is it. After John O'Groats, Tenaron and the Nordkapp, it's time for the final push. It's time to bring Péus to Bjargtangar, the westernmost tip of Iceland, and complete its awesome journey through Europe.

It feels quite strange in a way - it won't just be the conclusion to a project, it'll mark the end to a 4 year endeavour that will have gone through 25 countries by the end of it. Looking back over the past few years, I still feel amazed I've got this far.

The Beast is as ready as she'll ever be. Ofcourse, Panic Week had some niggles once again (like a coolant leak and a rear sprocket that gave a new definition to the word 'clingy'), but in the end all was well, The ol' girl is now raring to go, eagerly awaiting to try out that new shock and knobbly tires where they matter.

Even though the untimely demise of my trusted Drift Ghost was a real inconvenience with less than two weeks to go, brother-in-arms Heiko Spaans was kind enough to lend me his Ghost-S for the trip, just so you guys won't have to do without my madness.

I'm going to take things easy though, during this trip. The overall estimated length is far shorter than the previous trips (around 4000 km as opposed to the 8000+ madness from the past two years) but the trip is in the same sort of timeframe, so the daily average can be way lower.

The only itinerary I have is the one surrounding the ferry:

13th of July
Departure from Rotterdam
18th of July
Ferry at Hirtshals, Denmark
19th of July
Arrival at Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
22nd of July
Departure from Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
23rd of July
Arrival at Seyðisfjörður, Iceland

After that, I'm pretty much leaving everything up in the air. The only certainty is that the 6th of August, I have to be back at Seyðisfjörður again to catch the ferry back. When all is said and done, I'm scheduled to be back in Demark by the 8th, and probably back home around the 11th of August.

I'm quite curious about both the Faroe Islands and Iceland itself. As always, I'll post on-the-road updates on the Facebook page if there's Wifi available.

See you on the road!