maandag 21 april 2014

Cooking with gas!

You'll be pleased to hear that there's going to be one smaller preliminary trip. This weekend in fact, to central Germany. Nothing fancy - just a good shakedown of The Beast, and my compadre for Iceland, Heiko Spaans, will be tagging along.  It'll be nice to get most of the gear sorted, and think about what might need improving until the frostbitten North awaits. I'll probably do a small, one-page report on it sometime next week.

As you can see, the checklist is slowly progressing at this stage. I finally seem to have broken ground on crossing off more items than I put on, which is always a relief.

Still though, I find myself postponing the little nigs and nags which aren't necessarily tough, but just need doing. Like getting the visa sorted, getting vaccinated, getting copies of the important documents and sourcing the spare equipment.

I'll probably be riding with 3 spare batteries for the Drift camera this Summer, to increase video time and independence from available power.

I'm also curious about how the 'can stove' will do on the road. Just watch the vid below if you don't know what I'm on about - it's got quite the MacGyver-flavor to it.

Testing so far has proved it to be quite a succesful contraption - I'll pitch it up against the Primus this weekend to see what's what. It'll be quite the upset if my 150 Euro Primus is outgunned by a can of cider and a pair of scissors...

Stay tuned.